The following titles are excellent starting points for learning more about the history, belief, and spirituality of the Orthodox Church.
- The Orthodox Study Bible, published by Thomas Nelson (available as ebook via iTunes)
- The Orthodox Church, by Bishop Kallistos Ware, Penguin Books. (available for Kindle)
- The Orthodox Way, revised edition by Bishop Kallistos Ware, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood, New York.
- Beginning to Pray, by Anthony Bloom
- Facing East: A Pilgrim’s journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy, by Frederica Mathewes-Green, Harper, San Francisco.
- The Way of the Pilgrim, translated by Helen Bacovin
- Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells, by Matthew Gallatin
- A Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain: Discussion with a Hermit on the Jesus Prayer, Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos
- On the Prayer of Jesus, Brianchaninov I. Translated by Arch. Lazarus
- God and Man, Metropolitan Anthony
- Orthodox Worship: A Living Continuity with the Synagogue, the Temple, and the Early Church, Benjamin Williams
- Christ the Conqueror of Hell: The Descent into Hades from and Orthodox Perspective, Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev
- In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers, by John Chryssavgis, Wisdom Press.