The following titles are are excellent starting points for learning more about the history, belief, and spirituality of the Orthodox Church.
- The Orthodox Study Bible, published by Thomas Nelson (available as ebook via iTunes)
- The Orthodox Church, by Bishop Kallistos Ware, Penguin Books. (available for Kindle)
- The Orthodox Way, revised edition by Bishop Kallistos Ware, St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, Crestwood, New York.
- Becoming Orthodox: a journey to the Ancient Christian Faith, by Peter Gillquist, Conciliar Press (audiobook is available from www.conciliarpress.com)
- The Apostolic Fathers, ed. Jack N. Sparks, published by Thomas Nelson (an older edition by Cyril Richardson is available online at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library).
- Select Library of the Ante-Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, ed. Philip Schaff. Still one of the broadest selections of key Christian works from the early centuries of Christianity available in English. The entire collection is available online at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library).
- Saint Vladimir Seminary Press Popular Patristics Series, an excellent collection of major works in affordable paperback.
- In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers, by John Chryssavgis, Wisdom Press.
- Facing East: A Pilgrim’s journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy, by Frederica Mathewes-Green, Harper, San Francisco.